What are TMJ treatments?
TMJ treatments are a collective set of procedures that are used to manage the symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder. Patients in the Palm Beach area in Florida who experience pain in the jaw joint and in the muscles surrounding this joint that controls movement have found great comfort in knowing that the Lerner and Lemongello dental team is able to offer TMJ treatments that help alleviate the pain and discomfort often associated with the condition.
What is TMJ disorder?
TMJ disorders are inconsistencies that affect the patient’s jaw joint particularly the flexible joint connecting the lower jaw to the upper jawbone. This joint is responsible for the patient’s ability to open the mouth using a smooth up-and-down motion. TMJ disorders usually result from constant teeth grinding that precipitates a misaligned jaw. Often, this condition can affect the patient’s teeth, gums, and the overall bone structure of the mouth.
How do I know if I have TMJ disorder?
Read what our patients are saying!
Dr. Lerner provides the perfect mix of professionalism, education, expertise, warmth and personality. The entire office provides a welcoming environment and every staff member truly cares about the patient experience. My new veneers are absolutely beautiful. There was no way I would have trusted anyone else with the case. I highly recommend the offices of Drs. Lerner and Lemongello.
What options do I have for TMJ treatment?
Medications that can help relieve the symptoms of TMJ disorders include the following:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers are effective against the pain experienced in this condition. However, if more aggressive pain relief is required, your West Palm Beach dentist or doctor may prescribe stronger pain relievers instead.
- Tricyclic antidepressants may also be used for pain relief.
- Muscle relaxants have also been known to relieve the pain associated with TMJ disorders.
- Sedatives can be prescribed if the patient suffers from bruxism as well as TMJ disorder.
Non-pharmaceutical therapies are also available for TMJ treatment.
- Counseling or education will help the patient understand the factors that could aggravate the condition. Letting them know what to avoid will help relieve their symptoms.
- Physical therapy including ultrasound, cold and hot compresses, and stretching exercises will help strengthen the jaw muscles.
- Bite guards are perhaps one of the most useful forms of TMJ treatment. Patients have found great benefit from wearing these plastic devices over their teeth because these prevent the teeth from coming together. Additionally, the rigid plastic composition of the bite guards helps prevent bruxing or grinding habits that may further worsen the condition.
Patients with temporomandibular joint problems don’t have to deal with jaw pain, migraines, or having trouble sleeping any longer. At the office of Drs. Lerner and Lemongello, we identify what is causing the problem and provide treatent accordingly. Contact us today for a personal consultation about TMJ treatment.
What technology is used by the office?
Schedule a TMJ Consult at Lerner & Lemongello Today!
To learn more about the TMJ treatment offered by Dr. Lerner and Dr. Lemongello, please book a personalized consultation at our Palm Beach Gardens office. Call (561) 627-9000 or click here to fill out and submit an appointment request form to our talented team. Our practice looks forward to serving you!